Friday, June 03, 2005

You can't be arrested for poor musical taste

Norway's Madrugada has probably written the best song this year; "Running Out Of Time" is found from their 4th album "The Deep End" (EMI Music Norway) and, ironically, I found the rest of the album kind of sluggish. Some other contenders for the best tune of 2005 at the moment are: Queens Of The Stone Age's "Little Slow Goodbye", Reverend Bizarre's "Slave Of Satan", Grand Magus' "Kingslayer" and Sentenced's "End Of The Road". More coming up. When this year is dead and gone, I probably have some favourite full-lenght albums to mention as well (right now, I have to remind myself of I.N.'s live CD, Reverend Bizarre's "Crush The Insects", Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds' B-sides & Rarities CD and Robert Plant And The Great Sensation's "Mighty Rearranger"). Musically, a good year this one, unlike 2004, which was fucking rubbish.

P.S. Remind myself to make notes of 2005's best novels (so far, Jeffery Deaver's "Garden Of Beasts and the Rob Ryan book which name escapes me just now) and movies (The Machinist). Besides The Machinist, one of the better movies I've seen lately is The Door In The Floor, directed by Tod Williams, the movie is based on John Irving's novel, and it stars Jeff Bridges and Kim Basinger. This is the second movie I've seen of Kim Basinger this year, the other one was Cellular (a very good candidate for this year's worst movie), and I'm glad she did The Door In The Floor, she however, when she deems necessary, is a good actress. Jeff Bridges is always fantastic. He's hosting one of the best websites as well.
I found the following Q&A from a Jeff Bridges -interview (taken from this site) rather funny:

Questioner: What was the most complicated shot for you in The Big Lebowski?

Bridges: Not the most complicated, but the most fun? It reminds me of something that happened in that sequence where I float through all those girls legs. Well that day was on the schedule as the dream sequence, and I thought it would be the Busby Berkeley where I dance down the steps, you know? That seemed cool, so I invited my wife and kids to come on set that day, cause they like to see us making the movies and all, y'know? But the Coens switched it and did the other imaginary sequence, and I thought oh god, what're my kids going to think when I turn over and I'm staring up these girls' dresses? So I didn't know it, but all the girls - the dancers got together and pulled this trick on me. As I float through there and turn and look up a dress, I see this big - well, tufts of hair coming out everywhere - and it's the same under the next girl's skirt. And they all seem to have - well, y'know? It turns out they'd put these big wigs under their leotards between their legs, hidden by their skirts, so only I would see it. And fortunately, Lloyd Catlett, my dear, beloved friend and stand-in whose been on my pictures ever since The Last Picture Show was in on it and had the good sense to tell my wife. So she was waiting to see the look on my face, and now everybody was in on it. It was really funny, but I couldn't laugh. But that's why I have that weird smile on my face in the picture. But the expression on my twelve year old daughter's face was just as weird. She didn't know what to make of it.

No comments:

No one appreciates subtlety

Eli Roth 's Thanksgiving has innovative (and quite funny) ways of death and dying, but otherwise is meaningless and clichéd crap. A stup...