Wednesday, June 15, 2005

La Noche Diablo

Got three new CD’s. Sweden’s Grand Magus’ absolutely gripping “Wolf’s Return” and two albums from the killers in Texas themselves, Ghoultown; “Tales From The Dead West” and “Give ‘em More Rope”.
Well now, the Grand Magus CD is something of a masterpiece. Ever since I downloaded the opener, great as hell “Kingslayer”, I knew that once I have the money, I’d buy the entire album. I liked their previous albums, quite a lot in fact, but “Wolf’s Return” is the real fucking deal. I’m glad they got rid off the sludge and dust from their stoner/doom approach that were the major fucking deal in the past releases, this new more aggressive, more song-oriented style suits them the fuck lot better.
Ghoultown travels somewhere in the region of horror style mariachi music with a dose of spaghetti punk, whatever. It’s not really that kind of music that I’m constantly following, as a matter of fact sometimes I don’t give a rat’s fuck about any of them horror punk bands, but this band, they are pretty good.

p.s. a book worth a mention. Nicholas Hobbes’ “Essential Militaria”, it deals in war, pretty insightful little book, lots of facts, curiosities, kinda like if you have a book about food and it has all the recipes and neat instructions how to cook. Stripped to bare essentials, “Essential Militaria” is like it, just that it’s area of expertise is warfare.

No comments:

No one appreciates subtlety

Eli Roth 's Thanksgiving has innovative (and quite funny) ways of death and dying, but otherwise is meaningless and clichéd crap. A stup...